CHRISTCHURCH IS STRUCK AGAIN!
1pm ~ 5.5 magnitude
2.20pm ~ 6 magnitude
The magnitude 5.5 quake struck at 1pm, 10 kilometres east of Christchurch at Taylor's Mistake beach, at a depth of 11 kilometers, and sent people scrambling for cover. It was followed at 2.20pm by a more powerful magnitude 6 quake, centered 10 kilometres southeast of the city and 9km underground.
*
Words really cannot express how it felt this time.
I'd like to mention a few people here, for my family, who will be wondering.
*
Our family
Mike was at work, and all is well there - as much as can be expected. Due to a flood at home which was started by the quake, he closed up and came home. He is back at work today.
Guy was on a roof on a building site, slid down off it, and was unharmed - but all the builders went to their homes. They are back at work today.
Heath ~ was in the middle of an exam for the first quake, and the whole school was evacuated. Just as he arrived home, the 2nd one struck. All schools closed today - and we shall see what is decided for tomorrow.
(As I typed this, another quite sizable one struck! One's nerves begin to be frayed....)
I was standing in the kitchen for both, and when they hit, and I let out continuous blood-curdling screams, as I watched much china, yet again, fall and the whole room around me was shaken to it's very inner core! You think you know what to do and what not to do, but most of that flees when it strikes.
After I 'came to' I heard running water so went looking. I discovered in our back entry area, also our storehouse area, water was pouring in as though someone held a hose on full blast. The roof had sprung a leak. I texted Mike, who came home.
Mike and Guy were on the roof at home fixing the leak for the 2nd one, and they could only sit down and ride it out.
Here is a little of what I wrote to Brock last night when the day was over:
Yes got about a thousand texts today!!!!!!
Sorry bout phone call.... couldnt ring you!! Tried hard but quakes do the weirdest things to phone lines.
We are SO over earthquakes now... it is so not exciting!!
Again it is our side of the city... water has to be boiled again....roads are like rivers...
I was in the kitchen both times and it was seriously horrible Especially the 2nd one.
Guy was on a roof at work and slid off but is ok!
Heath was at school - got home ok. Exams cancelled till friday and no school tomorrow!!
LOTS of china again broke from hutch dresser.. I'm not going to use it for china any more... will put books etc on it!!!!
Second one, Mike and Guy had come home - and were on our roof fixing it... they said the quake was awful way up there on slanting roof. They sat down and rode it out.
Our roof in the back door entrance area sprung a huge leak and water poured in like a fountain, which they finally fixed. Water poured in mixing with spilt dishwashing liquid, oil and other foods and storage stuff.
More cracks throughout the house but still livible if a little more shabby!
Poor old Grandken's place is completely surrounded by liquifaction and he (Guy and Heath went round and helped) had to get sand bags to put all around to stop it entering the house again!! More of their pictures fell off walls and so on
Sorry bout phone call.... couldnt ring you!! Tried hard but quakes do the weirdest things to phone lines.
We are SO over earthquakes now... it is so not exciting!!
Again it is our side of the city... water has to be boiled again....roads are like rivers...
I was in the kitchen both times and it was seriously horrible Especially the 2nd one.
Guy was on a roof at work and slid off but is ok!
Heath was at school - got home ok. Exams cancelled till friday and no school tomorrow!!
LOTS of china again broke from hutch dresser.. I'm not going to use it for china any more... will put books etc on it!!!!
Second one, Mike and Guy had come home - and were on our roof fixing it... they said the quake was awful way up there on slanting roof. They sat down and rode it out.
Our roof in the back door entrance area sprung a huge leak and water poured in like a fountain, which they finally fixed. Water poured in mixing with spilt dishwashing liquid, oil and other foods and storage stuff.
More cracks throughout the house but still livible if a little more shabby!
Poor old Grandken's place is completely surrounded by liquifaction and he (Guy and Heath went round and helped) had to get sand bags to put all around to stop it entering the house again!! More of their pictures fell off walls and so on
....
Chenery's house is a goner. It fell down in places and where it didn't fall, it is about to!! Ivy was with Kristal and they both got injured it seems....
Chenery's house is a goner. It fell down in places and where it didn't fall, it is about to!! Ivy was with Kristal and they both got injured it seems....
You wonder when it will stop.. lots of people are emotionally broken through weariness now. Not much energy left within to be cheerful and brace oneself.
That's about it for now....seems more to be expected.. but only 4's and maybe some 5's!! What a terrible mess!!! Apparently we can expect them at least till the end of the year!!!I am glad over and over for the 'misfortune' that we don't own a house! What a nightmare for those with damage. POOR Chenerys - will prob be 5 years till they get a new house ... meanwhile they have to find a place to rent or something.......Love Mum....
***********************
We have power and water and sewage, but MANY in the city do not.
Last night, we were so cold and miserable, and emotionally worn out, that I closed the whole lounge off, lit the fire, drew the curtains, cooked a real 'comfort food dinner' and then we all stayed in the one warm, cosy, tidy room in the house for the whole evening! It was quite restorative. Everyone did their own thing. It felt quite gorgeously old-fashioned actually!
Here is Jadon, Guy and Heath all doing their thing ~
(Click on photos for larger image)
This morning Carol phoned and asked for help with trailers and man power.
The thing here is this: as soon as the experts come along and slap a red notice on your house, then you may no longer, under ANY circumstances, enter your own house. The next stage is that a demolition crew is called in, who (mostly loot the best stuff and keep or sell) then demolish it all and nothing is allowed to be salvaged.
So, the aim is to get in there asap when you know the die is cast and your house will be condemned, and get as much stuff out as possible. So that's what a group of us did this morning at Chenery's... the pics follow:
John and Hilton
Jan and Jadon
Marilyn
David and Jadon
Packing up what's left of the china.. Marianne and Leonie
and Dave...
and Carol - finally at the end. Not long after this, she had to go and rest... it is Carol and Dave's house which this is all about! She might be smiling in this, but all are close to tears, as their house is ripped away from them... seeing your home which is being stripped at a moments notice, gumboots and mud everywhere on your good carpet...
Their lounge!!!!!! We were all their to see Kristal and Josh on Friday night, and now look!!!! It's kind of hard to believe....
Jan and Dave
I went into Jenna's bedroom ~ as I stood there, I heard a little thump upstairs above me, and suddenly a chunk from the ceiling fell on my head. I took those photos and got out fast! The whole time we were there, we were painfully aware that if there is another biggie, we could easily be buried alive!! Does that sound dramatic?? Well, it is true!
These are Genna's room...
Outside, you didn't walk under this, in through the front door anymore... braced, but poles right off their sockets!!!!!
Time for a cuppa and a wee chat!
Marilyn, Madeleine, Bridget, Leonie and Jan.
A few of our kitchen and broken china etc etc...
The whole light fell off the ceiling!! So now we live in darkness!
Broken china - only ate off, and drank out of these a few days ago....
2 comments:
Caroline!! Those shoe pictures are in my room not Jenna's ;) love K
Oh whoops!!!! Sorry and yes, I remember now! Everyone was telling me not to go into those rooms, but I wanted a 'last look' as I was feeling so nostalgic! I spelled Jenna's name incorrectly too!
How are you?? Still at methven? And when do you go back??
What a 'holiday' you had!!!!
Love C xxx
Post a Comment