Quakes strike again:
5.8
6.0
5.0
5.8
6.0
5.0
I
sit here tonight at my computer, and don't mind admitting it, but all
my bravado is gone. I am so tired, close to tears all the time,
exhausted mentally and emotionally, and feel like giving up.
But
how does one 'give up'? I can't go running away. I can't forget
it. I can't go and live with someone else. Truly, this is a very
consuming and unpleasant time for us all.
Well,
not 'all'. I have been in contact with others in Christchurch, who
have hardly been affected, Isn't that something? “Oh, a few
cupboard doors popped open”, said one, not far from here. “No,
nothing broke at all” said another, slightly bored with the whole
thing.
I
feel so alone. Ok, yes we have our family (Mike, Guy, Heath and I)
and I am SO thankful Dad and Marilyn live close by, as they share in
exactly what we share in.
On
a physical level, there are people on the East side again, in
Christchurch, far worse off than us. My heart bleeds for them. One
wonders.... well, one wonders a LOT at this time.
I
am actually sitting in Kents room on my laptop right now, and this is what I am sitting amongst:
My little story is that I was inside on my laptop finishing my last blog entry when it struck. I ran out through the falling stuff, outside... alone at home, a freaky experience. I was shaking so much, but got the courage to rush inside again and grab my handbag with phone. Of course the phones were jammed by then. I ran back in and got the landline and phoned Mike... who said nothing had happened at work, and he and Heath would work on! I couldn't believe we were in the same city!
I phoned Dad and was almost crying by then... he said he would come and get me, but I said I would come round there. I drove to the corner, and saw the roads were gridlocked, so backed all the way home! (You do strange things when you are in shock! Backing all the way home was a bit rare!!) I then walked round to Dad's and he and I sat outside for an hour or more and then the next one, worse, struck! We ran and clung to the trailer, and the trailer began to roll downhill ... but next thing, the ground opened up in places all over his property, and the liquifaction spouting began. There was a HUGE one right at our feet and it was pouring out like a massive fountain.
Then Marilyn came home... she had been out with Ivy! Then Heath popped in on his scooter telling us how bad home was after the second one. Then Guy came, and he drove me home.
To this:
You can't see it but there is broken glass EVERYWHERE on the floor and rug.
Smashed glasses.. galore... these pics do not do it justice!
Bathroom cabinet overturned...
We are in an old house without built in wardrobes, so have those old free standing ones. Mine was overturned.. what a MESS...
Deciding which angle to pick it up from!
Guy's room... new huge holes in the ceiling around the fireplace.
His chimney is wobbling dangerously..
Some of the smashed stuff from the mantle piece above the fireplace..
Kent's cello mirror! Finally bitten the dust after surviving 4 major quakes. . fell from the wall and broke.
What will the night bring... tomorrow..... next week...... next month...? Believe me, living in uncertainty is so hard on the nerves. I have just got off the phone from someone in the city who was weeping... no reason, except like me, feel they can hardly take any more. And what about those, who are like we have been - brave - speaking out bravely and courageously. Will they too be reduced to this? I am not ashamed, any longer, to say I am afraid, tired, weary and living on my nerves. I am sick of being brave and cheerful. There is a limit, surely?
Good night ~ it is midnight!
7 comments:
Far out, don't know how you do it! But very glad you are safe. Escape somewhere in the caravan! B+s
Far out, don't know how you do it! But very glad you are safe. Escape somewhere in the caravan! B+s
Oh Caroline, I totally understand the living on your nerves part. The uncertainty of not knowing when the next would come was killing me (only because I was certain I would have a phone call saying someone had died). I can't imagine going through them over and over, I still have nightmares and flashbacks to the couple we were over for. Kia kaha brave lady. We love you, pick up and stick things back together. <3 K&J
Thanks so much Brock, Sarah, Kristal and Josh! Yep, it's lunchtime the next day now... tremors galore... just had a Christmas champagne breakfast at Dad's (just us and them) and still can hardly pick myself up. Mike not affected like me... Fiona shattered... it's our nerves.
Thanks a lot you bunch of lovely people! xxxxxxBrock GLAD you both out safe and sound! xx
You poor things!!! Really feeling for you. I would have been gone after the first one. Thinking of you, lots of love the Woods.
Been thinking of you ones there so much. !So glad to read your blog and try to enter into how it is for you ones.
Oh Dear, dear Caroline, I was being very light hearted on facebook...it was thoughtless and I apologize. I am so sorry to see what you have had to go through, yet again! Dearheart, no one can blame you for the edginess you must feel or the dread...
Have faith...this too shall pass.
Much Love,
Robin
Post a Comment