MOVING TO NEW BLOG SPACE

Sadly, I've run out of space on this blog for carrying photographs, so am starting another blog which will follow on from this one!




Click on this link to be taken to Chapter Two.....


http://continuingthechronicles.blogspot

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

OPENING DAY - CHRISTCHURCH CITY


Our inner city was hugely trashed in the February 2011 earthquake, and has pretty much been closed to the public ever since, due to it being very dangerous to be walking around in there.

However, a makeshift new replacement City has been constructed from shipping containers! Painted gorgeous primary colours and even made into streets – revolving around the main Christchurch store, Ballantynes (which much of that building remains). There are two cafes and lots of gorgeous Boutique style shops.

Container shops are the safest place to ever be in an earthquake!

They have paved and made dear wee gardens, edgings and even walls of flowers in hanging baskets.

Opening day two weeks ago, was a pretty big day for us Christchurch inner city folks who miss our own wee shopping space! Prime Minister John Key came and opened it, and literally thousands of people came.

Ivy, Marilyn and I made a date to go –  Dad dropped us there on the outskirts. We all described it as a 'carnival atmosphere'. Everyone was SO happy, and all talking to each other. Quite amazing really... this whole group of thousands of people, all openly talking, smiling to one another as though they all knew each other! The spirit was one of happiness, laughter, joy and enthusiasm!

There are probably too many photos, but it was such a fun day, and actually quite a 'big' occasion for Christchurch, so skim through to the end!







 Buskers everywhere....







 Containers with second stories... coffee shop to sit on the roof!!  The queues were so long that we didn't bother and ended up going elsewhere.





 The 'Moment' - entering Ballantynes!!!


As Ivy said, this is the second time Ballantynes has fallen and risen!  The fire in 1947 was the first time, and now in 2011 again. 
  
Ivy saw a number of folks her age from the past.  She stopped and spoke with Mr Ballantyne, who actually remembered her from when she worked there many moons ago!








Everywhere were Ballantynes staff with platters of Hershey's kisses!  They encouraged us all to 'take as many as you wish'!







 Another band instore. Just as I took it, they all got up for a stretch!   






 I would like to title this picture 
"BRAVE"

The scaffolding speaking of rather huge repair work, and yet bravely showing the face of many bright and colour flowers! 

In a kind of a way, this is what the little city centre was portraying. "Even though we have been smashed around, we are going to come through for you! Be encouraged'!






Shoes with skirts???  



 And there was PM John Key in the madding crowds, happily having his picture taken with whoever wanted it!   For the second photo, I simply held up the camera and shot!   It turned out a great close-up!


Ivy commented he was a lot younger in person than his photos have shown.
I wonder if that can be said about us all??





We walked back to The Coffee House (Montreal St) and had a delicious afternoon tea, then Dad came again and picked us up and delivered us home!



   

3 comments:

lew n Merle said...

That's a happy update:-) With Blue skies to go with it:-)Mx

Anna said...

Love those red and black shoes!

Caroline said...

Merle... been deciding we just have to laugh more! I woke up the other morning and someone had sent me a you tube funny. I watched it and laughed and laughed.. and I reckon I felt great for the rest of the day! SO good!

Yes Anna... those shoes are something else, eh! haha Meeting shoes... had skirts on! lol

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

OTHER CHRONICLES I BROWSE

WEATHER STATION

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Followers